Monday, September 30, 2019

Jurying and Being Juried

 I have just finished jurying another pastel competition show. It is one among many I have juried over the past few years and I want to say a few things.  But first, here is a collection of my oils that have all been rejected from national shows this past year.  I show them because I know the momentary disappointment of rejection and though I don't like to be the cause of that to other artists, it is all part of putting your work out there.

Jurying is obviously very subjective but I try to look beyond just my personal taste.  So here are a few things to think about when entering a show:

1. Is my painting in any way original?  I see so many paths in the woods or mountains in the distance.  What makes a painting original isn't only the subject matter but how you deal with it.  Go beyond the basic image.  Play with color don't just accept that "blue sky"...play with your strokes don't just render.

2.  If you are putting in a figure make sure it all works.  A poorly drawn hand can eclipse an otherwise well painted figure.

3.  Most importantly, if you can enter 3 pieces make sure they are all good.  If you only have two you feel are good, only enter those two.  In shows where the juror selects only one of an artists' pieces, a poor showing on one can bring the others down.

I leave you with this...some years back I was honored to be one of three jurors for the Pastel Society of America's National Juried Show.  The following year, I didn't get in.  But, be true to yourself and always keep in mind that one judge's opinion can be totally different from another judge's opinion.








3 comments:

  1. First of all, I love all of them … I especially love the first one... the sunset is beautifully shown on the mountain and water.
    And I give you so much credit on jurying these pastel competitions. It has to be so incredibly difficult. Especially seeing the pastel paintings this year! I was rejected once again but it won't get me down....I will try again next year. It's always a disappointment but yet, we learn so much from it...just like I've learned a few things from this post. Thank you Aline...wonderful tips!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilda. Keep trying. It took me 15 years to get signature membership in the Oil Painters of America. And though I am so happy about it...I didn't get in to either national or regional show this year!

      Delete
  2. I appreciate you comments; I feel somewhat better since you had rejected my first time entry at the Chicago Pastel society this last October. I realize it is not an easy task to be a judge. Your work is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete