Saturday, November 20, 2010
The "lead in" to this small 6" x 6" painting were too unclear...shot with my now old camera. I now have a new one that I hope will allow me to show more demos that come out clearly. Doing small paintings can be very instructive in learning to be expressive in both color and brushstrokes. I know, this painting needed the martini glass!
Wednesday, November 17, 2010
Well, something different for me. I was attracted to the abstractness and uniformity of color of this scene. I "finished" (the version with more windows) and decided that with my somewhat wacky perspective, I needed to get back to the more abstract look of it. So, I took out a lot of the windows which I felt gave too much detail and started to transform it into too much of a "scene" and I also softened a lot of the edges. Not sure I have accomplished my goal, but here it is.
Tuesday, November 16, 2010
As promised, here is the final version of the painting, Winter Horses. I realized when uploading the images on the previous blog, that I liked an earlier version and that when I added the snow beneath the rocks, it took away from the horses...my heros of the painting. I also saw that the painting was "too warm" in color and needed cooling down. I added some white to punch up the horses as well.